Türkiye has said NATO allies should use the upcoming July summit in Ankara to reset relations with US President Donald Trump and prepare for the possibility of reduced American involvement in the alliance.
Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Türkiye believed Trump would attend the NATO leaders’ summit on July 7–8 due to his “personal respect” for President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, but added that he understood Trump was otherwise reluctant to attend the meeting, Reuters reports.
Trump has criticised NATO for years and recently threatened to withdraw the United States from the alliance, reportedly over European members’ refusal to send ships to unblock the Strait of Hormuz near Iran. His remarks have added to broader tensions within the bloc, including previous disputes over US strategic priorities.
Speaking to the state-owned Anadolu news agency, Fidan said allies had previously dismissed Trump’s criticism as rhetoric but were now preparing for the possibility of reduced US engagement and strengthening their own defence capabilities.
"NATO countries need to turn this Ankara Summit into an opportunity to put ties with the United States on a systematic basis," he said.
"If there will be a U.S. withdrawal from some NATO mechanisms, there needs to be a plan and programme to phase this out so nobody is left in the open," he added.
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte said he understood Trump’s frustrations with the alliance, but noted that the “large majority of European nations” had been supportive of Washington’s efforts during the Iran conflict.
A senior White House official told Reuters that Trump, amid broader dissatisfaction with NATO, had also considered reducing US troop deployments in Europe.
By Sabina Mammadli