BAKU, Azerbaijan, May 18. Iran will strictly
adhere to its “principled position” at every stage of ongoing
negotiations, Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Bagai said Sunday,
Trend reports.
Speaking at a press conference in Tehran, Bagai said that
discussions over Iran’s nuclear program and uranium enrichment have
continued for the past two years amid repeated allegations, which
he dismissed as unfounded.
He said the negotiation process between Iran and the United
States remains ongoing and involves exchanges through intermediary
channels.
“After the Iranian side put forward a 14-point plan, both sides
exchanged views,” Bagai said. “Iran received the U.S. position on
revised proposals through the intermediary country Pakistan. After
Iran sent its views through Pakistan, it received a new set of
proposals from the other side, and Iran’s positions were sent back
two days ago.”
Bagai emphasized that Iran’s right to enrich uranium is
recognized under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), adding
that it requires no external validation.
He said Iran will continue to defend its position throughout the
negotiation process.
The remarks come amid continued tensions surrounding Iran’s
nuclear program and regional security developments, following a
period of heightened conflict earlier this year involving Iran, the
United States and Israel, and subsequent mediation efforts led by
Pakistan.