About 80 bodies have been recovered so far from the Iranian naval ship IRIS Dena, which sank off the coast of Sri Lanka following an attack by a US military submarine, Sri Lanka’s Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Arun Hemachandra told Ada Derana.


The Iranian vessel was returning to Iran from a port in eastern India, he said. Earlier reports indicated that at least 180 people were onboard the ship.


US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth confirmed that the United States sank “an Iranian warship that thought it was safe in international waters” in the Indian Ocean. “Instead it was sunk by a torpedo,” Hegseth said, though he did not name the Iranian ship involved.


Earlier, the Sri Lankan Navy reported that the IRIS Dena had gone down in the Indian Ocean with around 180 people believed to be on board. The Navy had rescued 32 survivors after receiving a distress call from the vessel early on March 4. The rescued individuals were admitted to Galle National Hospital in southern Sri Lanka.


Speaking at a special press briefing, Navy Media Spokesperson Commander Buddhika Sam

Commander Sam

Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath confirmed that 180 people had been on the ship and highlighted the ongoing search-and-rescue efforts.


The Sri Lankan Navy launched the operation following the distress call, successfully rescuing the 32 survivors, while search efforts continue for others who remain missing.


By Vafa Guliyeva