A fire broke out at the Nevinnomyssk Nitrogen Plant in Russia’s Stavropol region following another suspected attack, according to open-source intelligence analysis by ASTRA.


The incident marks at least the sixth reported attack on the facility since the start of the war in Ukraine.




Residents of the city of Nevinnomyssk reported hearing explosions overnight on May 16. ASTRA said analysis of eyewitness footage published by the Exilenova+ channel confirmed that the Azot chemical plant was on fire after the attack. The footage was reportedly filmed from 50 Years of October Square, located about 2 to 2.5 kilometres from the facility.




The plant has previously been targeted multiple times, including attacks reported in January and March 2026, as well as in December, August, and July 2025.


According to ASTRA, a major drone attack on June 14, 2025 involving 13 drones damaged workshops, windows, doors, the roof of the plant’s canteen, and anti-drone defence systems. Around 800 employees reportedly took shelter in a bomb shelter during that incident, while operations at the plant were temporarily suspended.


The Nevinnomyssk Nitrogen Plant is owned by EuroChem. Previous reporting by Reuters said the Nevinnomyssk facility and the Novomoskovsk Azot plant shipped large quantities of acetic and nitric acid to the Sverdlov Plant in Dzerzhinsk between 2022 and 2024.


The chemicals are used in the production of military explosives, including octogen and hexogen, which are commonly used in artillery ammunition.


By Sabina Mammadli