Poland has imposed a five-year entry ban on Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir, with Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski saying the decision was taken on grounds of public order.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in Helsingborg, Sweden, Sikorski said Ben Gvir posed a clear risk to public order, Polskie Radio reports.
“He is a chauvinist and an attention-seeker, and as such he is a threat to public order in Poland,” Sikorski said. “This is not a theoretical matter — he tried to enter Poland this year. We prevented it, and now he has a formal ban.”
Poland’s Interior Minister Marcin Kierwiński confirmed on Thursday that the ban had been formally enacted. “The necessary documents have been signed and entries in Polish systems are already in force. There is no consent for the humiliation of Polish citizens,” he wrote on X.
The decision followed a video published by Ben Gvir on Wednesday showing dozens of detained activists from the Global Sumud Flotilla kneeling on the ground while he waved an Israeli flag and shouted in Hebrew: “Welcome to Israel — we are in charge here.” The footage drew condemnation from Poland, as well as from Britain, France, Germany, Italy and other countries.
Sikorski said Poland had summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires at his request. When asked whether Polish activists had been subjected to torture or sexual violence during detention, he said medical examinations were ongoing.
The Global Sumud Flotilla had departed last week from the Turkish port of Marmaris, carrying humanitarian aid toward the Gaza coast. Israeli forces intercepted 50 vessels, detaining 428 people of various nationalities, including Polish citizens.
Israel’s Foreign Ministry said that all detained activists would be deported. Polish flotilla spokesman Rafał Piotrowski confirmed on Friday that the entire Polish delegation had safely left Israel and was in good health.
By Vafa Guliyeva