The United States and Iran are negotiating a three-page framework to end the conflict, including a proposal for Washington to release around $20 billion in frozen Iranian assets in exchange for Iran giving up its enriched uranium stockpile, Axios reports, citing US officials briefed on the talks.
The discussions mark steady but incomplete progress, with major gaps still unresolved. A deal on these terms would be politically sensitive in Washington, particularly among hawkish lawmakers.
US President Donald Trump said American and Iranian teams are expected to meet again over the weekend, possibly in Islamabad on April 19, with Pakistan acting as a mediator alongside Egypt and Türkiye.
At the centre of the talks is Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile, including material enriched to 60%, which Washington wants removed or tightly controlled. Iran, facing severe economic pressure, is seeking access to frozen funds abroad.
The US had previously floated releasing around $6 billion for humanitarian goods, while Iran reportedly demanded $27 billion. The current figure under discussion is about $20 billion, described by officials as one of several options on the table.
A compromise being explored would see part of Iran’s uranium sent to a third country, with the rest diluted under international supervision. Washington also wants a long-term freeze on enrichment, while Iran has proposed a shorter pause.
The draft understanding also touches on nuclear restrictions, including limits on underground facilities, and broader regional issues, though key disagreements remain.
Trump said Iran had agreed it would not seek a nuclear weapon and suggested a deal was close, warning that fighting could resume if talks fail.
By Aghakazim Guliyev