The administration of Donald Trump was preparing for a potential new round of military strikes against Iran, according to sources with direct knowledge of the planning, cited by CBS News, even as diplomatic efforts continued.


As of Friday afternoon, May 22, no final decision on launching strikes had been made.


In a social media post, Trump stated that “Circumstances pertaining to Government” would prevent him from attending his son Donald Trump Jr.’s wedding over the weekend. The president had initially planned to spend the Memorial Day weekend at his golf property in New Jersey, but will instead return to the White House.


Several sources said that some members of the U.S. military and intelligence community had cancelled their Memorial Day weekend plans in anticipation of possible strikes.


At the same time, defence and intelligence officials began updating recall rosters for U.S. installations overseas. These preparations coincide with the rotation of troop contingents stationed in the Middle East, part of an effort to reduce the American military footprint in the region amid concerns over potential Iranian retaliation.


Since a temporary ceasefire began in early April, the United States and Iran have largely refrained from direct military strikes, allowing time for indirect negotiations aimed at reaching a longer-term agreement.


Anna Kelly told CBS News that Trump has “made his redlines abundantly clear: Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon, and they cannot keep their enriched uranium.”


“The President always maintains all options at all times, and it is the job of the Pentagon to be ready to execute any decision the Commander-in-Chief could make,” Kelly said. “The President has been clear about the consequences if Iran fails to make a deal.”


By Tamilla Hasanova