A US Navy destroyer heading from the port of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates towards the Strait of Hormuz turned back after receiving a warning from Tehran.
According to the Fars news agency, Iranian armed forces issued a warning that the vessel could be targeted if it continued its course, with threats also made to disrupt ongoing negotiations should the ship proceed.
An Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson, speaking to the Khabar television channel, said any potential violations of a ceasefire arrangement had been prevented through what he described as coordinated diplomatic efforts and firm warnings from the armed forces.
He added that Iran’s negotiating team in Pakistan had immediately informed the US side via a Pakistani intermediary.
The destroyer, he said, was given a strict warning that it would be considered a target within 30 minutes if it continued towards the strait.
Earlier, Axios journalist Barak Ravid wrote on X, citing a senior US official, that several US Navy ships crossed the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday (April 11).
"The move was not coordinated with Iran. It's the first time this happens since the beginning of the war," he said.
By Aghakazim Guliyev