President Donald Trump convened a meeting with his senior national security team on Friday morning to review the war with Iran, according to two US officials who spoke to Axios. The discussion comes as Trump weighs the possibility of launching new military strikes against Iran, unless there is a last-minute breakthrough in ongoing negotiations.
The meeting took place against the backdrop of intensified diplomatic activity aimed at preventing a renewed escalation. Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, arrived in Tehran in what appears to be a last-ditch effort to bridge differences, while a Qatari delegation also travelled to the Iranian capital to support mediation efforts. Despite these efforts, a US official described the negotiations as “agonising,” noting that draft proposals are “going back and forth every day” with little tangible progress.
Inside the White House meeting, Trump was joined by Vice President JD Vance, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, among others. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Joint Chiefs Chairman General Dan Caine were absent due to prior commitments abroad and at a military ceremony. Trump received briefings on the status of talks and contingency plans should diplomacy collapse.
Hours after the meeting, the White House announced changes to Trump’s weekend schedule. He opted to return to Washington after a planned speech in New York rather than stay at his Bedminster Golf Club, and said he would miss his son’s wedding due to “circumstances pertaining to Government, and my love for the United States of America.” He added, “I feel it is important for me to remain in Washington, D.C., at the White House during this important period of time.”
Sources indicate Trump has grown increasingly frustrated with the pace of negotiations. Although he told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier in the week that he wanted to give diplomacy another chance, by Thursday evening, he was leaning toward military action. One option under consideration is a final “decisive” strike that could allow him to declare victory and end the conflict. However, no final decision has been made.
Iran, for its part, maintains that talks are ongoing but far from a conclusion. A source cited by the Tasnim news agency said “talks over disputed issues are still ongoing and no final result has yet been achieved,” adding that the current focus remains on “ending the war.” While some negotiators believe a breakthrough is still possible within 24 hours, others suggest Trump is increasingly inclined toward military action unless there is an unexpected shift in talks.
By Tamilla Hasanova