BAKU, Azerbaijan, May 4. Iran does not accept
the language of threats and force, and the other side must
understand this, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail
Baghaei said at a press conference held today (May 4) in Tehran,
Trend reports.
According to him, Iran considers itself a party that safeguards
the security of the Strait of Hormuz. The Strait of Hormuz had been
a safe passage point prior to February 28.
Baghaei said that the international community should hold the
other side accountable for ensuring the security of the Strait of
Hormuz. Companies and vessels are aware that coordination with
Iran’s relevant authorities is required to ensure their safety.
The Foreign Ministry official added that Iran’s Armed Forces,
which defend the country’s national interests, are responding to
U.S. claims regarding operations related to the security of the
Strait of Hormuz.
It should be noted that due to the lack of concrete results in
negotiations between the U.S. and Iran over the nuclear program,
the United States and Israel launched airstrikes against Iran on
February 28. Iran, in turn, began targeting Israel and U.S.
facilities in the region with missiles and UAVs from the same day.
With Pakistan’s mediation, the parties agreed to a two-week
ceasefire on April 7. However, no agreement was reached during
talks held between the U.S. and Iran in Islamabad on April 11.
It is also worth noting that on April 21, U.S. President Donald
Trump stated that the ceasefire would be extended until Iran
presents its proposal and negotiations are concluded in one way or
another.