BAKU, Azerbaijan, February 25. Today marks the
34rd anniversary of the Khojaly Genocide, one of the most brutal
atrocities committed during Armenia’s aggression against
Azerbaijan, the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry said, Trend reports.
"Today marks the 34th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide
committed by the armed forces of Armenia.
The Khojaly genocide is one of the gravest crimes committed as
part of Armenia’s policy of occupation and genocide against
Azerbaijan.
On the night of 25-26 February 1992, Armenia’s armed forces
attacked the town of Khojaly, which had been under siege since
October 1991, with its road and energy communications cut off, and
perpetrated mass atrocities against the Azerbaijani civilian
population.
During the bloodshed carried out by Armenia’s armed forces with
the assistance of the former USSR’s 366th Motorized Rifle Regiment,
613 people, including 63 children, 106 women, and 70 elderly
persons, were killed in Khojaly with particular cruelty. 487
persons were severely injured, 1,275 residents were taken hostage
and subjected to torture. Eight families were completely
annihilated, 130 children lost one of their parents, while 25
children lost both of their parents. The fate of many of those
taken hostage remains unknown.
These atrocities were not merely acts of war, but part of ethnic
hatred and discrimination policy. The targeted massacres carried
out by Armenia against Azerbaijanis in other Azerbaijani
settlements, such as Baghanis Ayrim, Jamilli, Karkijahan, Meshali,
Malibeyli, Garadaghly, Tugh, Selaketin, etc., clearly demonstrate
the systematic and planned nature of the Khojaly genocide.
The Khojaly genocide constitutes a gross violation of
international law, including the Convention on the Prevention and
Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, the Convention against Torture
and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, and
the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of
Racial Discrimination and other international humanitarian norms
and standards. This tragedy must receive its due assessment in the
global legal system as a crime against humanity.
The available facts regarding the purposeful character of the
Khojaly genocide, including the confessions of one of the
organizers of the genocide, Armenia’s then Defense Minister and
ex-President Serzh Sargsyan confirm that this tragedy was part of a
designed policy.
Like in other liberated territories, today life returns to
Khojaly, which remains one of the incurable wounds of our people,
and our state and our nation do not forget the victims of the
genocide and keep their memories alive.
On the 34th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide, we once again
honor the dear memory of the innocent victims of the tragedy.
May Allah rest their souls in peace!", the statement said.