A shooting incident occurred near the White House in Washington late Sunday night, May 24. prompting a temporary lockdown of the US presidential residence, according to American media reports.
An unidentified man opened fire near a Secret Service checkpoint and was subsequently neutralized by return fire from law enforcement officers.
Initial reports of gunfire emerged on social media platform X. NewsNation correspondent Libbey Dean reported multiple shots near the White House, after which journalists were urgently evacuated from the North Lawn. NBC and other outlets later said members of the press were sheltered in the briefing room as the complex was secured.
According to CNN, witnesses heard dozens of gunshots, although the incident took place outside the main grounds of the presidential residence.
At the time of the shooting, US President Donald Trump was inside the White House. The Secret Service later confirmed that the president and other protected individuals were unharmed, and normal operations resumed.
FBI Director Kash Patel said bureau agents responded to the scene to assist the Secret Service.
Fox News and CBS reported that the armed man was waving a handgun near the checkpoint before opening fire toward law enforcement officers and the White House. He fired at least three shots before Secret Service personnel returned fire.
Two people were injured in the exchange — the attacker and a bystander, the latter reported to be in serious condition.
While initial reports indicated the suspect had been hospitalized in critical condition, CNN later cited a Secret Service spokesperson as confirming that the gunman died in hospital.
NBC identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. According to Fox News, he had previously come to the attention of law enforcement, with authorities expressing concerns about his mental state.
The lockdown around the White House was lifted after the threat was neutralized.
By Jeyhun Aghazada