Armenia will continue exporting arms under existing long-term contracts, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has said, confirming that defence-related exports will proceed despite limited public disclosure around recent deals.
Speaking at a briefing on May 22, Pashinyan said the country’s arms export arrangements were governed by binding agreements already in place, Caliber.Az reports, citing Armenian media.
“Yes, there are contracts, there are long-term contracts as well, and these contracts will continue to be implemented,” he told reporters when asked whether exports would continue.
His remarks come amid growing scrutiny of Armenia’s defence industry following comments by High-Tech Industry Minister Mkhitar Hayrapetyan, who previously said that three Armenian companies had exported weapons worth millions of dollars to two unspecified countries.
Hayrapetyan did not disclose the names of the companies involved, the types of weapons exported, or the destination countries.
By Aghakazim Guliyev