Armenia’s Investigative Committee has opened a criminal case on charges of perjury and organising perjury over claims that a combat position near the town of Jermuk was allegedly being transferred to Azerbaijan.


The case was launched following the circulation of a Facebook video posted on May 21 by A. Aleksanyan, a member of the “Strong Armenia” alliance linked to Russian businessman Samvel Karapetyan, Caliber.Az reports, citing Armenian media.


The post alleged that a military position in the Jermuk direction had been “secretly handed over”, while criticising the Armenian defence minister.


The Armenian Defence Ministry swiftly rejected the claims, describing the information as false.


Investigators said the individual appearing in the video with his face covered was a soldier stationed at a designated combat position.


During questioning, he denied any transfer of positions and stated that he had been intoxicated at the time of the recording. He also said he had attended a gathering where he met Aleksanyan, who later arranged an interview with a journalist after learning about his personal difficulties.


The Investigative Committee said the testimony provided in the video did not correspond to reality and formed the basis for the criminal proceedings.


By Aghakazim Guliyev