The Trump administration is planning to tell NATO allies this week that it will reduce the pool of U.S. military capabilities available to assist European members in the event of a major crisis, according to three sources familiar with the matter cited by Reuters.


Under a framework known as the NATO Force Model, alliance members identify forces that could be activated during war or other major emergencies, such as an attack on NATO territory. While the detailed composition of these forces is classified, the Pentagon has decided to significantly scale back its contribution, the sources said.


U.S. President Donald Trump has made clear he expects European countries ⁠to take over primary responsibility for the continent's security from the United States. The message to allies this week is a concrete sign of that policy being implemented.


According to the sources, details on how quickly the shift will take place remain unclear. However, the Pentagon is expected to signal its intention at a May 22 meeting of NATO defence policy chiefs in Brussels.


The Pentagon’s policy chief Elbridge Colby has previously said the United States would continue to extend nuclear protection to NATO allies even as Europe assumes greater responsibility for conventional defense.


Pentagon policy chief Elbridge Colby has said publicly that the United States will continue to use its nuclear weapons to protect NATO members, even as European allies take the lead on conventional forces.


The United States is expected to be represented at the meeting by Alex Velez-Green, an aide to Colby, according to the sources. Adjustments to the NATO Force Model are reportedly a key focus ahead of the alliance’s leaders’ summit in Türkiye in July.


A NATO spokesperson declined to comment and referred inquiries to the United States. The Pentagon also did not immediately respond.


By Sabina Mammadli