Türkiye has condemned a raid on the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem led by an Israeli minister accompanied by settlers, warning that such actions risk escalating regional tensions.


In a statement, Türkiye’s Foreign Ministry said: “We condemn the storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque by an Israeli minister accompanied by a group of settlers.”


The ministry cautioned that provocative actions affecting the site’s status quo could further destabilize the region. It said: “Such provocative acts, which violate the historical and legal status of Al-Aqsa Mosque as a holy site belonging to Muslims, risk further deepening tensions and instability in the region.”


It also called on the international community to intervene to protect Palestinian rights and prevent further violations in occupied East Jerusalem.


“We reiterate our call on the international community to fulfill its responsibilities in protecting the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people and preventing violations in occupied East Jerusalem and against its holy sites,” the statement added.


According to reports, Israeli Minister of Negev and Galilee Affairs Yitzhak Wasserlauf entered the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in occupied East Jerusalem earlier on May 13, two days ahead of the anniversary marking Israel’s capture of the city.


Wasserlauf is a member of the far-right Otzma Yehudit party led by National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir. Both officials have previously entered the compound, drawing condemnation from Palestinians and several Arab states.


By Vafa Guliyeva