On February 28, Israel and the United States launched a series of strikes on the territory of Iran. Major cities and military infrastructure facilities came under attack, including military bases and command centres. In response, Iran carried out missile strikes on the territory of Israel, as well as against a number of other countries in the region — including targets and airspace in the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Iraq, and Syria. Iranian state media reported that Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic, was killed in the strikes. According to official statements from Tehran, the attack occurred while he was at his working residence.
As of March 6, the situation in the region remains extremely tense. The parties continue to exchange statements, and new episodes of escalation are being reported. Information is being updated as new details emerge.
09:27
According to Admiral Brad Cooper, commander of the U.S. CENTCOM, over the past 24 hours, the number of Iranian attacks using ballistic missiles has decreased by 90%, while drone attacks have fallen by 83%.
At the same time, U.S. strikes against the Iranian navy “have intensified”: 30 ships have been sunk, and a drone-launching vessel was hit and is currently burning, CNN reports.
09:24
The U.S. Central Command has released new materials on Operation “Epic Fury”, including video footage showing the destruction of an Iranian ship used to launch drones.
According to the command, “ roughly the size of a WWII aircraft carrier, was struck and is now on fire.”
08:42
Iran has suspended the process of electing a new Supreme Leader for security reasons, The New York Times reports, citing two Iranian officials.
The decision was taken after representatives of the United States and Israel indicated the possibility of an attack on the new leader.
08:27
According to CBS News, citing U.S. official sources, three American MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicles have been shot down during the operation against Iran.
The exact crash locations of the drones have not yet been determined, although one of them reportedly fell into waters off the Iranian coast.
It remains unclear how the drones were neutralised and who was responsible for destroying them.
In recent days, another incident has occurred: a U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drone was shot down. According to preliminary information, the cause was “friendly fire” from Qatari military forces, U.S. officials said.
The approximate cost of a drone of this model is about $34 million.
08:10
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth stated that American forces involved in the operation against Iran will no longer be bound by what he described as “politically correct rules of warfare” that previously restricted their actions.
Past foolish, politically correct wars were the complete opposite of what we are doing here. They had vague goals and restrictive, minimalist rules for the use of force. That will not happen again. Our authorities, his authorities, the authorities of Central Command, granted by the president and by me, are being used to the fullest, Hegseth told Sky News.