AZERBAIJANTIMES.ORG
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Social
  • Sport
  • Culture
  • World
  • Criminal
  • Show
  • Technology
  • Interesting
  • Other

Latest News

  • Speaker of Azerbaijani Parliament meets with with her Kyrgyz colleague (PHOTO)

    22 May 2026
  • Ticket sales begin for Baku-Tbilisi-Baku railway route

    22 May 2026
  • 569 NGOs from 103 countries sign Baku Declaration on WUF13

    22 May 2026
  • The fist and the tongue The story of Pashinyan’s transformation

    22 May 2026
  • Stranded on sea vs paying Iranian fees Economic considerations of transiting Hormuz

    22 May 2026
  • Hunter Biden accuses Israel-linked figures of spreading allegations against his father

    22 May 2026
  • Former Kuala Lumpur mayor commends Azerbaijan for successful WUF13 Forum

    22 May 2026
  • Kazakhstan declared free of foot-and-mouth disease with vaccination status

    22 May 2026
  • Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • Georgia closes popular café in Kutaisi after mass food poisoning incident

    22 May 2026
  • ​D-8 Secretary-General discusses accelerating launch of three regional centers in Baku

    22 May 2026
  • UAE Vice President sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • President of Paraguay sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • Bloomberg: Messi enters list of billionaires

    22 May 2026
  • Azerbaijan's Aliyev receives fresh wave of Independence Day greetings from world leaders

    22 May 2026
  • Director-General of ICESCO sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • Chairman of State Affairs Commission of Democratic People's Republic of Korea congratulates President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • King of Bahrain congratulates President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • UAE President sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev

    22 May 2026
  • Azerbaijan’s Global Media Group provides extensive coverage of WUF13

    22 May 2026
World

Authorities probe cause of Swiss bar fire as identification of victims continues

03 Jan 2026, 09:01 3 view 2 minute reading
Authorities probe cause of Swiss bar fire as identification of victims continues


Swiss authorities warned on January 2 that identifying the victims of the New Year’s Eve fire at a bar in the resort of Crans-Montana will take time, as the severity of the burns has made the process particularly complex and sensitive.


The blaze at the Le Constellation bar has killed at least 40 people and injured 119, many of them seriously. Officials stressed that the figures are not final. Valais regional chief Mathias Reynard said many of the injured were still fighting for their lives.


Around 50 of the wounded have been, or will be, transferred to specialist burn units in hospitals across Europe, including in Germany and France. Police said 113 injured people have so far been identified, including 71 Swiss nationals, 14 French, 11 Italian, four Serbian, and smaller numbers from Bosnia, Belgium, Poland, Portugal and Luxembourg.


Initial investigations suggest the fire likely started when sparkler-style “fountain candles” attached to champagne bottles were held too close to the ceiling, local prosecutor Beatrice Pilloud said, stressing that this hypothesis has not yet been formally confirmed. Investigators are also examining whether ceiling insulation foam contributed to the rapid spread of the flames and whether criminal negligence was involved.


Survivors described chaotic escape attempts as the fire spread rapidly through the crowded venue. One witness said he survived by sheltering behind a table before breaking a window to escape, as a narrow exit became blocked by people trying to flee.


The first publicly identified victim was 16-year-old Italian international golfer Emanuele Galeppini, who lived in Dubai. His death prompted tributes from the Italian Golf Federation.


Families and friends of missing young people gathered near the cordoned-off site as embassies worked to account for their nationals. Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said 13 Italians were hospitalised, and six were missing, while France’s embassy reported eight French citizens unaccounted for and nine injured.


By Tamilla Hasanova


Source: caliber.az
Share Facebook X Telegram WhatsApp

Related News

Stranded on sea vs paying Iranian fees Economic considerations of transiting Hormuz

Stranded on sea vs paying Iranian fees Economic considerations of transiting Hormuz

22 May, 23:03
Hunter Biden accuses Israel-linked figures of spreading allegations against his father

Hunter Biden accuses Israel-linked figures of spreading allegations against his father

22 May, 21:10
NATO chief says Europe can ensure its own defence

NATO chief says Europe can ensure its own defence

22 May, 20:26
© 2026 AZERBAIJANTIMES.ORG. All rights reserved.